Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) Author: Lauren DeStefano



Author: Lauren DeStefano
Release Date: March 22nd, 2011
Publisher:  Simon and Schuster
Pages: 358
Age Group: Young Adult

Summary:
In the not-so-distant future, life expectancy is affected by a rare kind of genetic anomaly: females can only live up to 20 years old, the males up to 25. This was after a period of celebration when science was able to find a cure for all diseases that everyone was virtually healthy and hospitals had few or even zero patients. Horrors of horrors, when the offspring of these very healthy individuals started suffering from shorter lifespan plans are set in to motion. And so begins the story of Rhine, a 16-year old girl who was kidnapped as a broodmare to an influential family. She was forcibly married to Linden Ashby whose first love is on the brink of death. Rich families are privileged and often encouraged by their society to take on as many wives as they can to perpetuate their lineage (which is kind of absurd considering they will die in a few years anyway). Hence, dear Rhine was to become a sister-wife to Jenna and Cecily who were likewise abducted.



My Review:

Let me start by saying that the book’s cover is what drew me the first time I saw it on the shelves of  My Chapters Bookstore. At that time, I was looking for new books to read and I passed on it. But I promised myself I’d get a copy as soon as I could. I forgot about it after awhile then I started blogging and it was everywhere even my fellow blog partner Kelly was like you need to see this book which I’m glad I eventually did because it reminded me that I had forgotten about it.

The novel, I found was well written some people would think otherwise but that’s ok , I think It’s not so much that the controversy of one of the characters having many wives but it’s how the author dealt with it. I was in total shock when Linden started sleeping with 13-year old Cecily  (13 OMG!) but I got over it eventually but the shock did stay with me throughout the book it was a book that was action filled right from the get go another reason I enjoyed it some books just take their time getting to the point.

There were things about the characters I didn’t and did like Linden he affected me more than Gabriel did, but only because overtime he grew on me it was hate at first then I felt pity for him. I mean how are you supposed to feel for a character that marries 3 young ladies and sleeps with 13 year old .The only natural thing that I thought might happen in Rhine’s story was for her to fall for Linden – her husband – the one who provides her with what she needs, the one who takes her to parties, the one whom she spends nights with. In short, the one whom she spends much more time with instead of Gabriel. I felt as if she was really falling for him after she realized he had no idea what his father was doing or did to him and the real reason behind why she became his bride. Now Gabriel the kitchen helper whom Rhine bonded and started caring for I just didn’t feel that spark between him and Rhine. But I did feel an emotional connection due to that they both had been put into a horrible situation  Her and Gabriel together is still sitting iffy with me I felt  excitement  for them  as a couple when they escaped!  But part of me wants her with Linden maybe it’s my pity talking I don't know??

My Final Thoughts:

 I won't go on cause I'm already spoiling to much this book is a must read to understand it, Wither will have your emotions all over the place it so believable it will have you saying what the F*4@^! It got me hooked and now I’m on to book 2 Fever can't wait.


 (◡‿◡✿)✰Lɪsᴀ

No comments:

Post a Comment